Saturday, May 25, 2013

Green thumb?

We are going to find out if Joe and I have a somewhat green thumb.  Granted, I have been able to keep mint, basil, rosemary, and succulents alive but can I keep something bigger alive?

I hated the look of the plant bed on the side of our front porch.  Hated.  I hated the concrete look to it.  I hated the grass stuff that had taken over it.  No ma'am.  Our original plan was to yank the whole thing out and plant evergreen shrubs.  I had everything picked out.  We started pulling out the concrete brick things and got all the way down to the end to discover that the previous owner had CEMENTED a small section together.  Doesn't really sound like a big deal.  Except for the fact that everything was connected so there was no way we were going to be getting it out.

Back to the drawing board.  We decided to stay with the evergreen idea (I like the thought of Alaska-y) but we had to leave the plant bed.  I think we might try later on to reface it with river rock or something.  I have no idea.

We shoveled off the top layer of the soil and got out as much as we could of the previous plants.  While Joe and Lee went to the store, I used a hand rake to stir up the dirt and to spread it evenly throughout the plant bed.

Joe and I had previously decided that we wanted Juniper to go in.  We compared prices at Home Depot and Lowes.  Lowes' had bigger plants but they were more expensive ($25 a pop) whereas Home Depot had smaller Juniper plants (way smaller) but they were only $7.  What did we got with?  The $7 small ones.  They can grow.  So right now it doesn't super look yet the way I really envisioned...but it will eventually!


No comments:

Post a Comment