Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Being a teacher

Being a teacher is hard.  Being a teacher also means that I am part parent, part counselor, part food provider.  Being a SPECIAL education teacher means even more.  Having that role means that I have to get to know my kids so much more than most teachers ever get to know their students.  It also means that I get to keep them for longer (as they go from grade to grade).  There are often times that I seriously question my sanity in going into this profession.  Today I was reminded of why.

I am not a huge crier.  Today I also disproved that.

When I started at East three years ago, I never imagined how much some of these kids would mean to me.  I was teaching 2 study skill classes and going into 3 regular education classes (all of which were sophomore classes).  Today (3 years later), that sophomore group of kids graduated.  To top it off, half of my caseload kids are seniors.  These are kids that I have been with since I started at East.  I got to know them and their families really well.  I watched them walk across the stage.

A cool tradition that East did today at graduation was have the teachers surround the students so after they crossed the stage they walked past each one of us.  I got my fair share of hugs.  Let me tell you the tears just kept rolling (a thank you goes out to a very thoughtful teacher who passed me some tissues).  There was a HUGE portion of graduates that walked today that I have been with for a while. There were regular ed kids who fussed at me when I stood too long when I was pregnant.  Then there were my "babies."  Seeing the kids who I honestly count as my own (seriously, once you have been in my class you are always my "baby") but some of my babies mean even more to me.

One of my seniors brought me flowers, a card, and candy last week.  Today, I watched him walk across the stage and I got a tear out of him when he gave me a hug.  Last week, one of my seniors made this beautiful poem (yes, I took a picture and posted it because it was awesome).  Today, I watched him walk across the stage and yup, he cried when he gave me a hug, too.  Today, I watched one of my all time favorite kids ever graduate.  Not only did I cry but one of the administrators cried on that one.  He is a fantastic kid who will be playing football next year in college.  Words cannot express how proud of him that I am.  (Yup, still crying).

Today reminded me of why I teach.  Watching those smiles (and tears) made all of the other times great.  And yes, tomorrow I am going to get made fun of tremendously but I am ok with it.  I got to see my babies graduate.



No comments:

Post a Comment