Saturday, March 23, 2013

Doctor's Appointment: The Results (kinda)

DISCLAIMER: AS OF SATURDAY MORNING, I STILL HAVE NOT HEARD FROM MY DOCTOR SO THIS IS NOT 100% YET.  TRYING NOT TO GET EXCITED.

Today was the day that we got the official word on being able to have more babies.  I had to take a half day at work so I could go over to the hospital to have a test ran called

Hysterosalpingography (HIS-tur-oh-sal-ping-GOGH-ru-fee): This is an X-ray of the uterus and Fallopian tubes. Doctors inject a special dye into the uterus through the vagina. This dye shows up in the X-ray. Doctors can then watch to see if the dye moves freely through the uterus and Fallopian tubes. This can help them find physical blocks that may be causing infertility. Blocks in the system can keep the egg from moving from the Fallopian tube to the uterus. A block could also keep the sperm from reaching the egg.

Unfortunately, Joe was not able to go to the hospital with me.  I checked in at 10:30 and pretty much immediately got called in the back for the test.  I walked in to this room that had all of these machines set up....the lights were on dimmer....overwhelmed does not even begin to describe how I felt.  What do I do when I feel overwhelmed?  I cry.  The nurse and the nurse practitioner explained the "awesome" process to me.  It definitely sounded kind of scary.  

Once they started the dye, there was a little bit of a problem.  They should have filled my uterus and then expanded to my token Fallopian Tube.  At the beginning of my testing, the dye filled my uterus but rather than going into my left Fallopian Tube, it started going into the veins.  This is not apparently a good thing.  They had me rolling from one side to the other (SUPER AWKWARD).  They left me on the scanning table and went to get the radiologist.  They didn't want to push any more dye into me if it was just going to spill into my veins.  They were gone for a little bit and I was SUPER uncomfortable while I was waiting.  Just hanging out....me and my catheter.  By the time they got back and started pushing more dye, apparently whatever the blockage was in my Fallopian Tube had gone out.  The dye 
was able to go through the left Fallopian Tube.  I cried again.  (It's what I do).


On my way home I had to stop at Walgreens.  I ended up getting the epitome of female stuff.  Pads. Chocolate.  Romance novel.  It made me giggle.  Something needed to make me giggle because I kept randomly crying.  I HATE crying. 

I still have to hear from Dr. Hinkle for the official results.  


WAITING......WAITING.....WAITING......

       

No comments:

Post a Comment