Monday, August 6, 2012

Pinterest Project: Collage frame

I have been dying to do this project and I knew exactly in the house that this giant picture frame would go- above the bed and another one above the sofa!

Inspiration pictures:



I was never able to find a cool looking, ornate large frame so I ended up getting a cheapo one from Michael's.  We just took out the glass and picture inside the frame.  We only kept the frame.  After talking to a lady at Michael's, she suggested that I use cotton string rather than jewelry wire as that might be too heavy for the frame.  I already had cotton string at home left over from Mac's birthday so I just boiled it with tea bags to give it a more natural color rather than the stark white that it was. 


The next conundrum I faced was how to attach the thread.  The lady at Michael's suggested a hook and eye system.  The websites to the inspiration pictures suggested hot glue.  We ended up drilling holes in the frame, threading the string through, and tying knots.





I didn't have super glue or a hot glue gun so I had to find another way to make the knots stay.  I used fingernail polish.  I painted the knots and put a drop down the hole to further hold it.  We will see how that works out for me.


  What I am going to use to hold the pictures up is teeny tiny clothes pins.  They are available at craft stores and I got ours at Fred Meyers.  The inspiration post had them painted to match the frame but I like the natural look of the clothes pin unpainted.


The only concern I have is that the cotton will stretch and drop over time.  If it does, then we can just change out the cotton string for maybe jewelry wire.  I love the look of this so much that I am going to do another one to go over the sofa! Then I can change out the pictures for holiday pictures and cards or just to change out the pictures!

Here is the final product (needs more pictures):



No comments:

Post a Comment