Friday, June 6, 2014

Nora's Birth Story

So I have been asked by several people about Nora's birth.  I figured the easiest way to do this would be in a blog post.  WARNING: If you are squeamish this is NOT the post to read....or if you are not into TMI.  Oh, and as I am typing this at almost 10 oclock at night 5 days after giving birth, be prepared for there to be bad grammar, topics to skip around, and maybe some of the sentences to make absolutely no sense.  Whatever.  

I was supposed to be induced on May 28th at 6 pm.  However, that continued to be bumped back because they did not have the space.  They literally had us calling every three hours for a couple of days.  You want to talk about how much of a pissed off pregnant woman I was......there is another word that could also be associated with me but I will refrain from using it.  I was finally able to get in on Saturday May 31 for my induction.  I checked in and got taken back to my room in Labor & Delivery.  They hooked me up to machines and put in an IV (my nurse was awesome and I did not at all feel anything!).  Dr. Hinkle came by and put in the Cervidil.  The role of that medication is to loosen and soften the cervix so that it can begin to dilate.  They let me eat and gave me a sleeping pill so I would actually sleep through the night (however, I might be the only person who Ambien does not do anything for).


I got up at 7 the following morning.  The doctor on call came to see me and the anesthesiologist came in.  The anesthesiologist actually hung out with us for a while.  I got to see family pictures (for some reason this makes me smile).   They also checked my cervix.  I was not really any more dilated than before so they started up the Pitocin.  In case you don't know this, Pitocin is the DEVIL.  It really amps up your contractions.  I went from having soft easy contractions to game-on-why-in-the-hell-did-we-decide-to-get-pregnant contractions.

 
Contractions on Pitocin feel like your body is being ripped to shreds.  I took it for about 3 hours before I was finally like I can't do this, time for the drugs!  I got an epidural when I was at 4 centimeters do;ated.  The world is a MUCH better place once that epidural goes in.  It was amazing not to be able to feel any of those godawful contractions.

Before I had gotten my epidural, they had given me pain medication (we weren't sure how quickly the anesthesiologist would be able to get to me).  That medicine made me definitely feel woozy.  I couldn't even hold my eyes open.  I was like a drunk person who could only open one eye in order to be able to focus on your face.  Due to that medication, I took a giant nap after my epidural.  When I woke up from my awesome nap, a nurse came in and checked my cervix.  I was incredibly surprised when she told me that I was already at 10 centimeters.  I seriously didn't believe her at first.  I have no idea how I went from 4 centimeters to 10 in about 3 hours.  About thirty-ish minutes after hearing this show would be starting pretty soon, my blood pressure dropped.  I had been having a little bit of trouble with my blood pressure through the labor time but then it started impacting Nora.  So they put me on oxygen.  That mask is a giant pain in the butt.


After they started setting up everything in the room, I was feeling the need to push but I didn't.  I was waiting for her to drop even lower so I wouldn't have to work as hard (yup, lazy right here).  The nurse had me do a couple of shoves so she could see where the baby was at.  LOW is where the baby was at.  Dr. Bane came in when my super awesome nurse had me set up to push.  I pushed twice and Dr. Bane realized that this was going to be happening like now.  She got set up.  I pushed seriously two more times and out came Nora.  No joke.  My awesome husband was holding my leg since I couldn't feel it.  He also cut the umbilical cord!  I have the world's best husband!

Complete and polar opposite labor from Mac.  I was technically in labor for less than 10 hours.  I only pushed four times (off of two contractions).  However, I had the same complication after Nora's delivery that I had in Mac's.....I had another retained placenta.  Dr. Bane had to work on me for about 15 minutes before she was able to get it out.  I was really close to having to go into surgery (again) to be able to get it out.  Honestly, the retained placenta hurt more than delivering Nora.  I also ripped (again).  I was a stage 2 rip so I had to get stitches.  


My blood pressure was still low after I delivered Nora so I had to keep the oxygen mask on for a while.  That thing got on my nerves!  They also put on the leg stimulator things to keep blood flowing in my legs.

My beautiful baby girl, Nora Kimbrell Cash, was brought into the world at 3:47 weighing in at a whopping 8 pounds 3 ounces and 20.5 inches long.

 
We went in to the hospital on Saturday and we were able to leave on Tuesday.  That sounds like a really long time of being in the hospital.  They wanted to keep an eye on me because of the retained placenta and the low blood pressure.  It's a good thing that they did because I also developed an allergic reaction to the tape/dye stuff that had been on my back for the epidural.  My back broke out into a big ole bumpy red rash and swelled up.  Awesome!

She is such a sweet baby that everything is worth it.  She has the chubbiest cheeks and the skinniest chicken legs.  She makes funny baby faces and likes to stick out her tongue.  She is very much her daddy's daughter with the ridiculous amount of farting.  Her brother loves her tremendously.  Life is happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment