Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Homer Halibut Charter

This past weekend we went to Homer for Joe to go on a halibut charter.  When we got to Homer the weather was crazy.  The wind was insane.  The waves were insane.  It was so bad that the original charter that Joe was supposed to go on ended up getting canceled.  However, later that day the weather and water were better so Joe rescheduled with a different charter.  We decided that I could go too and Mary would watch the kids.  (still cracks me up that we have to say "kids" now as in plural)  We got my fishing license and headed to the boat.  We were scheduled to go on the Sizzler.  There were a ton of southern people on there and some really nice people.  In fact, the female deck hand was from outside of Athens originally!




The water seemed fine until right after we got out of the harbor....



Once we got out into open water, it was game on.  Crazy waves.  At first I was completely fine.  However, about an hour into the ride I was feeling so not good.  We headed back outside to the back of the boat.




Those pictures were obviously taken before I started not feeling good.  I was desperately trying not to throw up.  I did not at all want to be that person.  However, then a man lit a cigarette on the boat and I knew at that point that it was a matter of when not if.  About twenty minutes before we got to the fishing spot, it was game over for me.  I threw up all over the place.  On the ground.  On the rugs/mats. On someone's backpack.  I was sitting next to a sweet nurse who pulled my hair back and put ice packs on my neck.  I was mortified.  There are not enough words to describe the embarrassment that I felt.  When we finally got to the fishing spot, I was done.  Joe and the nurse got me to the side of the boat where I proceeded to continue being sick over the side of the boat.  Still mortified.  Everyone else got fishing poles and began fishing.  The boat was crazy rocking.  Slowly, other people began sitting next to me and began throwing up.  The fishing excursion turned into the puke party.  People were throwing up on the sides....from the front of the boat.  At one point there were six of us sitting next to each other, leaned over the sides, throwing up, patting the back of the person sitting next to us.  About 3/4ths of the boat threw up.  It was so bad even one of the deck hands threw up.  Miserable.

In terms of the actual fishing, you will have to get that story from Joe because I have no idea.  I know that he caught his quota (2 fishies).  He then caught my first one.  Technically I was supposed to set the hook but obviously that was not happening.  I did touch the rod though so we could kinda be legit.

We have so much fishies!!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment