Monday, August 5, 2013

A Vent.


Today, I received an email from a Facebook “friend” who I have not talked to in probably over a year.  She made a short comment about Thirty-One and then asked if I am pregnant.  Just straight out asked.

 It immediately brought out every insecurity I have about my stomach.  I know.  I am a small person (even though I have gained 5 pounds this summer due to sitting around and eating Oreos).  But I do have insecurities about my stomach.  After having two big surgeries and a baby, that area of my body has sustained some trauma.  I have stretch marks.  I have scars. I have a lower belly bulge that will probably never go away.  By this person asking that question, it brought to my attention all of those insecurities.

Where does she get off asking me that?  Seriously.  I am pretty sure that there is a girl code that you NEVER EVER EVER ask another girl that question.  Yes, I have scars and stripes but I damn earned them.  And yes, my stomach will never be the flat way it used to be but I damn earned that too.  And yes, I have gained 5 pounds and that puts me at a big whopping 134 pounds.  That in no way entitles someone to ask if I am pregnant.

It really upset me.  I cried.  How else do you respond when you find out someone can’t tell the difference between pregnant and fat?  Now as I am typing this I realize that I am no longer upset….I am pissed.  As women, we should be supportive of each other.  We should understand that our bodies change as we have babies, and get older, and have medical problems.  Especially when you have medical problems that involve the ability to get pregnant. 

How am I going to deal with this?  I did the very mature action of defriending and blocking.  I don’t need anyone in my life that will make a comment that makes me feel bad about myself. 

What’s next?  I am going to go eat some chocolate éclair…..and continue to earn that extra 5 pounds I have put on!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment