Saturday, July 6, 2013

Chena Hot Springs: The Resort

We FINALLY got to Chena.  And when I say finally I really mean it.  It felt like it took FOREVER.  Part of that was probably because I tend to get carsick and I was sitting in the back squished next to Mac's carseat!

When we first checked in, we were in a seriously shady family suite (if you go to the Hot Springs do not book the family suite).  We had the rooms changed to be in the lodge and those rooms were much nicer!  The resort had this great outdoorsy, cabiny look to it.  It definitely looked super Alaskan.  We did a Geothermal tour while we were there and it was amazing how self-sufficient this place was.  It had greenhouses that were amazing.  There was a kitchen herb garden (that one made me super jealous).  There was the Geothermal plant that provided electricity and heat to the Springs/pool/resort.  There were livestock.  We literally ate the eggs from the chickens!  I did not realize that it was so self-sufficient!  (Obviously, that made me a little excited) There were all of these old machines around that the owners used.  They seriously used everything.  There was an old car that was being used as a flower bed and it sounds tacky but it wasn't.  Super Alaska-y.






Cranky bear passed out (finally).  He did not let us sleep too much the night before.  

Waiting to go on the Geothermal tour.

Ended up carting my big man around, which is exhausting because he is HEAVY!


See?  The owner used to work on the Alaska pipeline and so he used a lot of those decommissioned things at the resort.  Recycle. 


Crazy gorgeous flowers in the greenhouse. 


Joe was super fascinated by this dragon grill. 




I really enjoyed watching the baby ducks.  I have no idea why.  




Look at that cranky face. 


The definition of Terrible Twos right here. 

He was FASCINATED by the "horseys."

We are ready!  We are ready!  Heading to the pool to go "shwimming"

My men.

There were moose that were roaming around. 

A crazy antler statue thing in between the restaurant/store/check-in area and the pool house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment