Sunday, June 24, 2012

Joe's Halibut fishing trip



This is Joebasaur on Jami's computer! Morgan and I went halibut fishing out of Ninilchik yesterday... It was awesome! Our arms are very sore today.

We got to the charter company offices just before 5 am and hopped in a truck to go to the launch ramp/beach. The captain of our boat put a six foot ladder beside our boat (still on the trailer) and we all hopped in. After that, a tractor came and dragged us into the water.


On the way out to our first fishing spot, we had a great view of Redoubt, an active volcano.


We did a lot of catch and release until we got the halibut that we wanted. Below is a picture of a skate that one of the other people caught. When our guide threw it on the boat it stuck its tail up at me (thats me in the picture). The guide told me to watch out for his stinger and then proceeded to laugh when I squirmed behind it. It looked just like a sting ray... without the stinger. I ended up catching a cod first which we used as bate. My arm was really tired after pulling it up from about 300 feet down.


Here's a picture of me reeling in a big one!


Morgan and I caught our limit of 2 fish each:


Here's some pictures of them filleting our fish. They vacuum sealed and froze our fish. Yum! I got about 13 lbs!




No comments:

Post a Comment