Monday, November 11, 2013

WORK: Welcome to Alaska

I popped my little head up at 530 this morning and immediately looked at my phone in hopes that school was canceled.  It wasn't.  I fully expected the roads to be completely terrible.  We had a lot of rain that froze over and then we got a good bit of snow (about 7 inches at our house).  Driving to work wasn't that bad.....but I was behind people who went like 35 the entire way.  It was a completely different story when I got to the parking lot at work.  Usually, the school district scrapes the snow and then lays gravel.  This morning all they did was scrape.  When I pulled into the parking lot, it looked like a sheet of glass.  Seriously.  I parked and when I was looking around I noticed someone get out of their car, stand up, and immediately fall down.  All I could think is "how in the world am I going to get out of my car without falling down?"  I managed to get out of my car and get my stuff (tomorrow I will be using a bookbag as my work bag).  I began the treacherous hike to the building.  I did not even pick my feet up....I shuffled the entire way.  I preferred trudging my way through the snow than try to cross the slick roads.  I have never seen a parking lot that slick.  I did make it in the building.  HOWEVER, when I went out the side of the building to go out to my relo.....I made a discovery.  They did not dig out the relos.

Check out all of that fresh snow!

I scrambled my way around the buildings to my friend Kim's relo.  She had used her shovel to shovel her way to her relo.  I did not put a shovel in my relo because I figured they would scrape it for us.  Nope.  So out of her relo I go and back into the snow that is about 8-9 inches deep.  I get over to my relo and I get in (let me tell you those stairs were fun).  When I got back out, Kim had come out with her shovel as well as 2 other teachers.  They began to shovel out around their relos and mine.  They refused to let me shovel or help because I am pregnant.  I work with some sweet people!

Crazy start to my day.  It made the rest of the day feel off somehow.....








No comments:

Post a Comment